Apartment & Abbey Gallery
Fort Augustus Abbey
Dominating the southern shores of Loch Ness, Fort Augustus has a long turbulent history that stretches back to the days of Bonnie Prince Charlie and the battle of Culloden, the last battle ever fought on British soil.
Fort Augustus was built in the aftermath of the Jacobite rebellion of 1715, as part of a chain of military garrisons between Fort William and Inverness. It fell to the Highlanders in 1745 after only two days’ siege, when an artillery shell blew up the gunpowder magazine of the fort. Victory was short-lived, as over 2000 Jacobites were massacred by Cumberland’s army in the Battle of Culloden in 1746. The battle was followed by years of suppression with further massacres and despoiling.
The Fort was sold to the Lovat family in 1867 and they passed the site onto the monks of the Benedictine order, who set out to create a place of peace and worship on the banks of Loch Ness. The building dates from the 1870’s, with much of the architectural work carried out by the Pugin brothers. In 1919 The New Abbey School opened but sadly this disbanded after many successful years in 1993 and in 1998 it also closed as an Abbey and the monks dispersed.
The Grade A listed building including the Monastery, Old School, Moat House, Church, Brothers & Raven wings were converted into luxury apartments with all the warmth of modern living in 2005. The fabulous architectural features of the abbey have been retained, including the many ornate turrets and towers, the extensive cloisters, the chapel, the refectory, many stained glass windows, gargoyles, arched windows, beautiful tiled floors and stunning staircases.
The abbey is set in 20 acres of secluded grounds with its mature trees and rhododendrons at the south end of Loch Ness, surrounded by the majestic mountains of the Scottish Highlands and with spectacular views up the entire length of the loch. The formal tree-lined avenue curves past the old schools’ original cricket green.